Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me!!!

~The story~
Well the wait is finally over...Last Tuesday at my weekly appointment I just knew I was going to be dilated but again NOTHING. She decided to strip my membranes and see if that would speed the process up any. I was feeling terrible by the time I left there and was barely able to drive myself home I called my mom and told her I really thought she should come on because Jason was working that night and I was scared to be alone. So she headed on and got to our house around 9:30. Jason was working swing and would be home around 2:30. Around midnight I started having the worst cramps but thought if I just laid down then they would go away. WELL when everyone said you would know you are having contractions they did not lie. I started counting them and they were 5 minutes apart and I knew it was time to go. Jason got home and I got mom up and we headed out the door and got to the hospital around 3:30a.m.
When we got to the hospital they still were not sure if they were going to admit me but I was thinking yes you are and give me some drugs..ha! Finally around 6 they decided to admit me and the process began.
It started with just getting my IV and everything in and trying to get me as comfortable as possible. They gave me some pain meds to help me sleep for a bit and I woke up in some serious pain. I didn't want to get an epidural until the doctor came in to give me an update. Well she came in around 1:00 and broke my water..worst fear of my life was when she said there was meconium when she broke my water. I almost started crying right then and there thinking I told you she had been in there too long but she acted like it was no big deal and made sure to go ahead and give the NICU team a call to make sure they were on hand when she was born. From then she said to get my epidural and whoa baby was I a happy camper when I did..I was super afraid to get that needle in my back but my pain was increasing and I had the BEST nurses ever so they made it all better. It actually didn't hurt at all or I could have just been singing Amazing Grace so loud to myself in my head and still in shock from how cold the stuff was pre stick that I couldn't even concentrate :)
Now it was just time to sit an wait...they came in later to check me and I was still nothing so they cranked up the pitocin and this is when things started getting tough. It did the job though because I was still at a 2 around 4:00 and by 10:00 I was already 9 1/2. I found the button for more meds to be pumped into me also but by this point it was not relieving any pressure. We started pushing around 10:30 and they were telling me I was doing so good but all I could think of was how hungry I was. By 11:30 there were probably 15 nurses in there and they were all cheering me on with my mom and Jason by my side.
Our little girl decided she did barely want to have a birthday of 1-26-11 with entering this world at 11:54 a.m. she was 8 lbs 8 oz and was 20.5 inches long...I didn't shed one tear until I heard that sweet little cry for the first time and the team working on her said she was perfect!!! From there it was kind of a whirlwind of craziness and recovery.
We finally got situated and they put me in my recovery room where we would stay until Friday night when we got released to go home. Jason went out and got me some yummy whataburger and I was good to go..ha! It was an experience to say the least and for the almost 24 hours of labor it was worth every second!!!

I will talk about our first week of being home in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment